A. Domain DefinitionIn the world of IT in question Domain is a unique name given to the server / IP address, so that server / IP address can be identified by the Internet network. One of the domain functions is to simplify the user network computer or internet when accessing a web server, besides that domain also useful to facilitate user remember the name of server accessed so that user does not have to remember a number of IP address server.
Domain names are often referred to as URLs if you search for information on the internet and visit a website that presents an information you can see an example of a domain address in the web browser address bar you are using. If someone wants to create a website, then the domain name is very necessary. Examples of domain names such as "namawebsite.com", dots are called "dots", and "com" is one type of domain.
Then is it a subdomain? A subdomain is a part of the primary domain name. That is, the subdomain is the domain name that is the primary domain, so it's like this: "subdomain.namawebsite.domain". Subdomains generally used to divide a website into several parts.
And what is a TLD (Top Level Domain)? Top Level Domain is the last word or part of a domain. TLD itself is divided into two types such as ccTLD (Country-Specific Top Level Domain), and gTLD (General Top Level Domain). ccTLD is a Top Level domain based on a country code, whereas gTLD is a common or commonly used Top Level domain, so it can be said that gTLD can be used by anyone. One of the TLD functions is to identify the elements contained in a website, such as whether the website is owned by the government, institutions, schools, companies, or private property.
B. Some Examples of Top Level DomainsSome examples of ccTLD (Country Code Top Level Domains), such as below:
- .id - for websites that exist in the country of Indonesia.
- .us - for websites that exist in an American country.
- .uk - for websites in the UK.
- .cn - for existing websites in China.
- .my - for websites located in Malaysia.
- .ca - for websites located in the state of Canada.
- .au - for websites in Australia.
- .jp - for existing websites in Japan.
- .in - for websites that exist in the country of India.
- .ru - for existing websites in Russian countries.
- .sg - for websites located in Singapore.
- .th - for existing websites in Thailand.
- .nl - for websites in the Netherlands.
- .fr - for existing websites in Francis country.
- .fi - for websites in Finnish country.
- .mm - for existing websites in Myanmar country.
- .la - for existing websites in Laos country.
Some examples of gTLD (General Top Level Domain), such as below:
- .com - Commercial abbreviations can be used for websites that have various purposes or purposes, starting for personal websites, companies, even to the online business.
- .edu - Education abbreviation, can be used for educational websites, such as school websites, universities, or other educational institutions.
- .net - Network abbreviation, actually almost like .com, can be used for personal to the company, but more appropriate for website related to the world of IT or network.
- .org - Organization abbreviation can be used for websites of organizations, institutions, and so on.
- .biz - Business abbreviation, can be used for business website, can actually be used for anything, but more suitable for a website about business.
- .info - Information abbreviation, is suitable for websites containing various information.
Some examples of domains that exist in Indonesia, such as:
- .co.id - this type can be used for the website of the commercial organization, business entity, and so on. Of course, when will use it there are certain policies and regulations.
- .ac.id - This type is generally used for college or academic websites. Of course, when will use it there are certain policies and regulations.
- .or.id - This type is more accurately used for the organization's website. Of course, when will use it there are certain policies and regulations.
- .id - This type is used for the purposes of school website and of course when will use it there are certain policies and regulations.
- .go.id - This type is used for government agencies, and Of course when will use it there are certain policies or regulations.
- .wb.id - This type can be used for the purposes of a personal website or it could be an organization or institution. Of course, when will use it there are certain policies and regulations.
C. ConclusionFrom the above explanation, it can be concluded the intended domain name is a unique name given to the server so that the server can be identified on the Internet network. While the subdomain is a part name of the main domain. Then the intended TLD (Top Level Domain) is the word/name/ last part of a domain. The types of domains are ccTLD and gTLD, ccTLD is the Top Level domain by country, for example: .id Indonesia, .us America, .uk UK and others. While gTLD is a Top Level domain common to use, Examples such as .com, .net, .biz and others.